After completing a circle of 7 days, here comes FRIDAY again, with all of its blessings and rewards. ALLAH subhanahu watala created the day of Friday for Muslims to enjoy His special blessings weekly. Its just like we have bundle offers on week days on many cellular networks etc so, jumma is also a weekly package of bounties of ALLAH almighty for anyone who wishes to avail it. Little acts are rewarded with special profits on this day.
Of all week days, Friday has been granted special importance. Its prominence over other days can be seen at many places in AlQuran , even a whole surah is named after that holy day and that is surah juma:
“O, you who believe! When the call is made for Prayer on Friday, then hasten earnestly to the
remembrance of God (by performing the Prayer and listening to the sermon), and leave off business
(and every other thing). That is better for you, if you but know. And when the Prayer has been
performed, then disperse abroad in the land and seek (your portion) of God’s grace, but (without ever forgetting Him,) mention God much (whether during Prayer or not), so that you may prosper (in both worlds).” (Juma 62:9-10)
“We (Muslims) are the last (to come) but (will be) the foremost on the Day of Resurrection though the former nations were given the Holy Scriptures before us. And this was their day (Friday), the celebration of which was made compulsory for them but they differed about it. So God gave us the guidance for it (Friday), and all the other people are behind us in this respect: the Jews’ (holy day is) tomorrow (i.e. Saturday), and the Christians’ (is) the day after tomorrow (i.e. Sunday).”
Abu Hurayrah stated that Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) said:
“The best day on which the sun has risen is Friday. On it Adam was created, on it he was placed in paradise, on it he left paradise, on it he was forgiven, on it he died, and on it the final hour will take place. Every creature on the face of the earth, except Adam’s
descendants, awakens on Friday on the lookout fearing the final hour until the sun rises. And there is an hour on Friday in which Allaah will grant anything a believer asks, if he is in formal prayer (salaah) during it.”
Collected by Abu Daawood (Sunan Abu Dawud, vol. 1, p. 269, no. 1041)
Virtues of Friday:
As juma is a special day, so it demands special preparations and special acts. Here are some essential tasks to do to grasp blessings of Friday:
- To have a bath (Ghusl) (Bukhari, Tirmidhi, Ibn Majah)
- To use Miswaak (cleaning teeth) (Ibid)
- Clipping the nails and removing of the hair etc (Ihya aul-Uloom, vol. 1, page 161),To use Attar or nonalcoholic Perfume (Ibid)
- To wear nice and clean clothes. (Abu Dawood, Chapter of Ghusal on the day of Jumu’ah)
- Offer jumma prayer / salat ul jumma / namaz e jumma
- To proceed early as possible to the Masjid for Jummah prayer.
- To wear nice and clean clothes. (Abu Dawood, Chapter of Ghusal on the day of Jumu’ah).
- To sit close to imam , as close as possible.
- If the Saffs (rows) are already filled, one should not jump over the shoulders of the musallies in order to get to the front. (Abu Dawood)
- Listen very attentively to the khutba of jumma even if one does not understand. One should not speak or even warn another to keep quite while the khutba is in progress.
- Recite surah-al-kahaf , when ever you get time in whole day, because recitation of surah al kahaf is recommended on jumah. Related by Hakim and Bayhaqi, from Abu Sa`id
“Whoever recites Surat al-Kahf on Friday, light shall shine forth for him between the two Fridays.” (Ibn Hajar, Talkhis al- Habir)
12. Making a lots and lots of dua.
Rasulallah (PBUH) said:
“There is such an hour on Friday that if any Muslim makes dua in it, his dua will definitely be accepted.” (Bukhari, Muslim)
So, dear Muslim sisters and brothers! don’t forget to avail the countless blessings ALLAH tala is showering on the day of juma. Try to grasp each and every moment of the day to its fullest. Its like blessings are on sale on Friday, so why not to full our jars to necks with bounties of ALLAH tala?